Saturday, December 8, 2007

I Love Scrabble!

It's true, I really do love Scrabble. I have since I was a young girl and played it with my mom and sisters. My fondest memories of growing up are of being gathered around a table with family members to play a game--not always Scrabble. Playing board games or card games has always been a thing we like to do as a family when we get together. In fact that is one of the biggest things I miss about not being close to my family. Dennis likes to tease me about Scrabble, particularly about the fact that in my family it isn't cut throat--we actually help each other! I have been playing Scrabble lately on a fairly regular basis with two very dear friends of mine, Peg on the right, of Lucy & Ethel fame and my half-marathon inspiration; and Michelle on the right, a wonderful, genuine loving person whom I adore (okay, truth be known I adore them both--and not just because they play Scrabble). This picture is from this past Tuesday (12/4) when we squeezed in one quick game at 6:30pm after Cooper's basketball game. Peg and Michelle both have two kids, a boy and a girl each and all our kids get along really great together and have fun. The kids often come too when we get together. It's a great time. The picture on the right is the final results of our game. As you can see we did a great job of covering the whole board and had some cool words. At one point early on, I will admit that I had to show my tiles to Michelle and Peg because they were so funny. I had all vowels and a blank. Not ideal for making any whopping high score! Despite that, I did end up with the winning score in the end that night. I think it was because I was wearing my 'E' & 'L' Scrabble earrings myself. And yes I do have a pair of Scrabble earrings. Another friend who makes jewelry made them out of actual wooden Scrabble tiles. Why 'E' and 'L" you might wonder? Lucy and Ethel of course! Peg has a matching set. Also, those up on acceptable two letter words will know that "el" is acceptable but "le" is not. In fact many Scrabble experts will tell you that knowing the acceptable two letter words is the key to high scores. Za and qi were recently added to that list--and yes, I guess the fact that I know that makes me a bit of a Scrabble nerd! But I think that means I am in good company.

7 comments:

crazy lady said...

That looks like a pretty good game on board! How fun that you have some great friends to share things with. Nice to know some new two letter words. What do Za and qi mean?
I thought of you last weekend when in the Sunday Community brag section there was a little piece about a former Pocatello man whose claim to fame was placing first in a regional scrabble contest. He used some words I'd neve heard of before and I was "going' to look them up - or at least write them down but...He was indeed a nerd, not because of the scrabble, but because of the goofy photo he had submitted with the article with him in some scary skimpy running shorts, a la Todd, and skinner, scrawny legs.

michandler said...

Za is a nickname for pizza somewhere it the country. I've never heard of it and it seems like it would be an abreviation but what do I know. Qi is "chi" like in Chinese medicine.

michandler said...

Not sure how I ended up with two of the same pictures there for awhile.

crazy lady said...

Well, you can be sure I'll be adding those two words to my list. Of course, I will probably forget where I put the list but....
Thanks for correcting the pics. I thought maybe it was just me getting two pics of the scrabble board.

oscar said...

I love scrabble too! I had no idea qi was a word or the other ones you listed. The hubby better look out cause now I will have a secret weapon. I agree it is just the best game and card games are great too. I like that your family helps each other out. It is more fun that way.

Lost Woman said...

So glad you found some scrabble soulmates. I myself have become an UPWORDS fan . Mom and I play most sundays. Of course we are going for the group score so our strategy is very different than if you were playing individually. Last Sunday we broke our record on the new larger upwords board.
I think I would be afraid to play scrabble with you now. There is the sound of cutthroat in your typing. (:

homeless72 said...

I too must confess my passion for the wonderful word game known as scrabble. I am such a dork that I made Jenette take a picture of my all-time high score (the best word was 'groupies', which I got a bingo AND had on the triple score box). I am ridiculously proud of that. I am a dork. That is neat though that you play with a group.