Monday, July 14, 2008

Mama Mia!

Okay, I freely admit that I am and have always been a huge ABBA fan. Not too surprising considering I came of age at the same time they were internationally big (mid 70s to early 80s). In fact the ABBA Gold CD is one of my favorites to listen to whenever I have a long drive (like to Idaho). It really chews up alot of miles and keeps me awake because I am signing along. We have even endoctrinated the boys to like them too. By we I mean Dennis & I of course--although he may not be quite as big a fan as I am. There's alot of teenage/early 20s memories tied up in that group! Which by the way did you know that the name ABBA came for the first letter of the names of all the members--Agnetha, Benny, Bjorn and Anni-Frid (although she generally went by Frida)? I didn't, I just read it on Wikipedia.
A few months ago Dennis & I went with our good friends the Radfords to the 5th Avenue Theater in downtown Seattle to see the musical, Mama Mia! (written by Benny), that is based on their hit songs. I have to admit that we were a bit skeptical going in but boy was it fun! I laughed so hard in some parts that tears were streaming down my face! Part of the fun was knowing they were about to break out into song and trying to guess which one. Sometimes you could totally tell which one was coming and it was so campy & corny that you wanted to groan but you laughed instead. It was such a fun production complete with these amazing, tight, florescent-colored, spandex costumes at the end. It included a sing-along.--and boy did Peg and I sing along! The performers were excellent and did a great job.
So now there is a movie based on the muscial starring Meryl Streep. I don't know whether it will be as good as the theater production or as fun. I have my doubts. If you love ABBA I would totally recommend the stage production for sure. Peg and I have already vowed to go see the movie. It remains to be seen if it will live up to the stage production.
Meanwhile if you haven't listened to them lately or if you never have--you should (and I mean the original group--not all the really bad pop remakes that have been done in recent years!). It will make you smile

3 comments:

crazy lady said...

Ahhh ABBA. I did in fact know that bit of trivia about the names, but I couldn't have told you what their names were! Sounds like the musical was really fun. From the previews the movie just looks like a story of an aging women whose daughter wants to find out who her father is?
I have a definite soft spot for ABBA. The very first music video I ever saw was one of theirs. I remember thinking just how gorgeous they all were. The feathered bangs and classic dress and all.
If the musical ever makes it anywhere in the vicinity (SLC?) I'll have to try and catch it.

michandler said...

The storyline IS about a daughter trying to find out who her father is. The storyline is so secondary to the music--at least in the theater version. Like I said it's so corny and campy it's funny. It will be interesting to see how true the movie will be to the musical.

Lost Woman said...

I'm glad your Mamma Mia experience was superior to mine. My friend Monika took me about 3 years ago for my birthday. It was just weird. If it HAD been campier I would have liked it better. It was done in a "try to be serious" way and it was tooooo lame.
The music was of course great though.
I DID know that ABBA was from each of the members first names. My favorite being Agnetha the blonde. Isn't that a sad name.

I didn't know there was a movie, but I hope Meryl doesn't stake her reputation on a loser