Friday, May 1, 2009

EE Update

Not that there is too much exciting to report. I had been using a steroid inhaler to "bring down the swelling" in my esophagus. The doctor decided to switch me over to Prednazone (?) which is a stronger steroid. One of the women I visit teach is a nurse and she said if I didn't want them she'd take them. Apparently, she had to take them for an ear infection once and she said they really gave her a zip. She lost 15 pounds and felt like she was thirty again. I guess it remains to be seen what side effect it will have for me--probably not a loss of 15 pounds (darn!). I have also made an appointment to see an allergist. Since EE is primarily allergy based it seems to make sense to me that in order to keep it from cropping up again you would need to try and find out what made it happen in the first place. Seems to me the steroids would only treat the symptoms not the cause. So that's pretty much the deal on the esophagus front. I'm sure you were all waiting with baited breath for that thrilling update.

Oh and the pictures, that's just so there was something to make this blog entry more interesting. This is what happens when Spencer takes his camera to school. At least he has some other people in the pictures with him instead of his usual "self-portraits". In the top picture, that IS one of his favorite facial expressions to "make". Bottom is two of his good friends Imani and Cailey. There several pictures in this vein. At school he can always be found in a flock of girls. I have candy on my desk now and he and a group of girls come visit me daily. Of course, the word is spreading and the crowd keeps getting bigger so I don't know how long I can afford to feed them all. Good thing there is only a few more weeks of school!

2 comments:

crazy lady said...

Ahhh yes, the pulling of faces...good times indeed. I like the jumping pic too - especially the shadows. I'm glad you added the pictures.
I'll be interested to hear what happens with the steroids. Aleta had to use them (I can't remember when?) and gained a bunch of weight. So, hopefully that won't be the case for you. I hope you get some relief one way or another.
Good luck with those last few weeks of school. Amazing what a dish of candy will do for your popularity :0)

Lost Woman said...

I WAS waiting for the update.
Most people gain weight on Prednizone. It is nasty stuff, makes your bones brittle, messes with all sorts of hormones..eek.

I hope the allergist finds a cause so you won't need to keep treating the results not the cause.

Looks like Spencer has some fun at school. Looks like they might be jumping in joy because the sun is shining?