Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It Happens to Everyone

I guess it is inevitable that you will have a fender bender at some point in your life. And, if you are a teenager (or old), that is probably going to happen sooner rather than later. We would be dreaming if we didn't think it would happen to Tucker at some point. Yesterday it did. Of course we kind of assumed that it would be Tucker's fault, but in this instance it wasn't! Shocking I know. I got a frantic call from him yesterday at work around 11:30am saying his he had crashed into the back of a tow truck (how ironic is that??) and that it wasn't his fault because there was an oil slick or something. I can't say that I was exactly maternal. I was having a crappy day myself for various reasons so the first thing I said was "I don't need this today, I just don't need this." and then follwed that with "Oil slick? Yeah, right." Regardless of the intial "all about me" response, I did ask who was in the car and if everyone was okay (luckily yes). Then I hopped in the van (luckily I hadn't walked to work that day) and drove down to his school and the scene of the accident.
Turns out there was an "oil slick" which stretched almost 20 blocks!! I hit a little of it on my way to the accident. It was like hitting a patch of ice, where your brakes kind of seize up.
Tucker had been taking 3 friends for lunch and was coming to a stop at the light right by his school. He hit a particularly big patch of oil and all effort to stop was pointless. The thing that stopped him was the tow truck in the lane next to him. He ran right into the part they hook up to tow you. It looked like he was going to be towed. The tow truck driver and the guy in the truck behind him both confirmed to the police that Tucker was not speeding but driving slowly and there was no way to avoid the accident.
It was pretty scary but as I say, no one was hurt. Tucker is a little sore today and I told him to check on his friends to see how they were today. Unfortunately, his car is not. It's pretty much a goner. We only had it insured for liability because it was so old. He's pretty bummed about the car naturally.
So here's the kicker to the whole story. Turns out the "oil slick" came from a fire truck!! It was leaking transmission fluid all the way down 15th Ave. Tucker just happened to hit the big pile where it had stopped for the light. In fact the fire truck was not too far in front of them! I guess they figured it out about three more lights down the street and finally pulled over. According the the cop at our accident, there were a couple other fender benders reported north of where we were. They ended up closing off most of the street for the rest of the afternoon. Dennis is hoping to get some kind of compensation for Tucker from the city for the fire truck basically causing the accident. I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Best thing is to just focus on the fact that no one was hurt. It could have been much worse, but fortunately, someone was looking out for Tucker yesterday!

4 comments:

crazy lady said...

YIKES! That really could have been much worse. So glad to hear there were no significant injuries to anyone (car excluded). Don't you hate when you have that kind of response and then beat yourself up about it afterward? Sounds like you did just fine overall mom.
I bet Tucker will be even more cautious (for awhile at least:0)
Hope your day is MUCH better than yesterday....love you to all!

Lost Woman said...

Ouch! So glad everyone is ok. What are the odds?
Lets see what is the good out of it? Tucker wast telling the truth, you have witnesses that he drives safely,(in spite of other kids in the car), and no one was hurt.

The drive down to Idaho will be a breeze.

wallymom said...

I wish we could all get through life or at least those teen-age years without the fender benders. So glad all were safe and kudos to Tucker for driving safely.

jo said...

Darn it! I feel bad for Tucker...he was doing everything right :( Glad everyone is okay. Lots of ironies in this story...such is life :)