Thursday, July 9, 2009

I Love Freezer Jam!

It's true, I love freezer jam! I have a particular fondness for raspberry. That is why I took the time just before leaving for Idaho to do a little freezer jam processing today. I guess I should have visited my freezer before buying all the raspberries I purchased today. If I had done that I would have discoverd about 18 more similar containers of raspberry and strawberry jam! I guess I thought we ate more of it from last year. Oh well.
But, I didn't visit before purchasing 4 flats of raspberries (or were they 1/2 flats--I always get confused) so what can you do but get them ready for freezing. It's not like we are going to eat them all--especially since we are leaving on Saturday for Idaho. So, I get the less sugar/no sugar pectin and off I go.
I purchased the blue plastic containers several years ago on sale. I guess I didn't remember purchasing so many (between those pictured here and the ones already in the freezer from last year). I was trying to get just enough raspberries to fill the little blue containers that I had that were empty. Unfortunately, I always overestimate in my berry purchasing. Happens every year (maybe that's why there is so much in my freezer). Luckily I learned the trick from my mom of freezing the jam in freezer baggies otherwise I would have been in trouble with my four boxes of raspberries. The baggies keep just as nicely as the containers.
I don't know how to can. Never really learned, so it's the freezer method for me. I always preferred the freezer kind anyway.

3 comments:

crazy lady said...

Good for you!
There is NO comparison between freezer jam and traditional preserved jams. I just pulled out my last freezer pack of raspberry and am anxiously awaiting this year's crop of raspberries to replenish. I actually bought strawberries and made freezer jam from them this year. So, we should be set assuming the raspberries come on. The way this year's weather has been I'm not so sure...

Lost Woman said...

ah jam. I'm not a big rasberry fan, but strawberry... that is yum.

As for the over estimating, I think that is a Vaden trait. It goes along with overtaping packages.

drive safe

wallymom said...

We love freezer jam at my house too. I like raspberry, but everyone else loves strawberry so that's all I make anymore. I make it every spring.