Friday, April 16, 2010

Then (1985) & Now (2010)

These pictures are from my mission, 25 years ago (gulp). The gorgeous blonde was my mission companion for four months. Her name was Gitte Hansen and she was from Denmark. We served together in Loraine, OH and had a great time together. Every month we would beg for just one more month together. We must have been persuasive because we got four months. People would ask if we were sisters, which of course I thought was totally "awesome" (as we used to say alot back then). Not sure how Gitte felt about it.
Of course we both returned to our respective homes after our missions were through. Both of us married and became the mother of boys (Gitte has two) and settled down into domestic bliss.
We have kept in touch over the years through Christmas cards mostly. Gitte even called me on the phone once a few years back which was a very nice surprise. We would always talk about seeing each other one day but not necessarily with any expectation that we would.
So you can imagine my surprise and excitement when Gitte e-mailed me a few months ago about possibly come to see me ever so briefly. Seems she was planning a trip to Salt Lake City for General Conference and thought she might plan a little layover in Seattle. I was pretty "psyched" (also a word we used alot back then). Well it worked out perfectly, because she flew into Seattle around noon the Wednesday before we had our Spring Break. I picked up her and her mom (who is totally a cutie) at the airport. We were able to spend that day through to noon on Thursday together (she spent time with another friend here in Seattle from noon Thursday to noon Friday).
We had a great time (or should I say awesome) reminiscing about old times, old friends, old companions and also catching up with each other. It was amazing how little time it seemed had passed and yet it has been 25 years!! We seemed to just fit right back into that groove of where we left off. There was no awkwardness (well except for the fact that I am a lousy housekeeper and they were staying at my house.) These "now" pictures are from Sunset Park just a few blocks from our house. I also took them to see where the kids go to school and I work, the church building, and the UW campus.
She had a jam packed trip (literally, it was crazy) so it was super cool (another word we used alot back then) that we got as much time as we did together. I hope some day I can return the visit and go see her and her family in Denmark. I will have to add that to my "list".
Dennis says he thinks we both look better now than back then. All I know is that it was fun to see her again. I'm so glad I know her and that she is still a part of my life. She is warm, generous, caring, thoughtful...all those good things. It is a friendship that I will treasure forever!

6 comments:

Lost Woman said...

How cool! (I got all teared up)

I'm with Dennis you both look better now... and not just because of the bad 80s hair) Less makeup, more real and relaxed.. clearly more comfortable in your skins!

I totally remember her. Here is why. While I was in college and in the early stages of dating Mark,you sent me that picture of the two of you leaning back to back . I asked him to guess which one was my sister and he picked Gitte.

He wouldn't believe me that it was really you.. and then said we couldn't date anymore because he couldn't ever marry anyone who had red hair genes. "Unacceptable" was the term he used I believe.
Partially joking... but some half truths there. He hated red hair

Jerk.
(note: I was dumb enough to date him for another year)

Well that was a sidebar.. but that picture obviously sparked memories for me!

Anyway, it is great you two got to see each other again. I hope you do get to go to Denmark.

crazy lady said...

That is "groovy" ( a word that was REALLY in use then :0)
I remember cutting out the fabric for the plaid dress you're wearing...I have LOTS of great memories of you at that point in time. Your big earrings, great hair...but, yes I think like a good wine (as if I would know what a great wine is...) you both have improved with age.
It's fantastic that you got to see her and were able to pick up right where you left off. Makes me want to go a see my fav. mission companion - who actually lives in Utah.
You have inspired me. Maybe this summer...
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
I love you!

The Desiree said...

I love it! You two are hotties, then and now. All I can say is wow! I hope I look as good and you two do!

Amy Wallace said...

I think you both look terrific. What a fun time and I hope you get to go to Denmark someday.

jo said...

I love it! True friendship! You both look great....hope you get to go to Denmark someday. What an awesome experience!

Millie said...

Yeah... my two best hair clients in Lorain Ohio...you guys looked fabulous then and of course more beautiful today. great reunion and many things to chat about...what a joy!

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

http://inspirationallettersbymillie.blogspot.com


http:2good4nana.spaces.live.com