Friday, April 13, 2012

The Flying Trapeze

Dennis' Aunt Doris was in town to celebrate the 60th birthday of her son, Steve (Dennis' cousin of course) and wanted to have a family party. Steve's daughter Katie happens to work and live at a place that offers the opportunity to try out a trapeze. It is located in an old foundry in the south end of the city. It's basically a three story building with a huge opening right in the middle. It usually costs about $74 for lessons but because Katie works there we could try it out for $25. Tucker and Cooper both decided they were in. Here are a few pictures of Tucker giving it a whirl.You got three different tries to get the "routine" down necessary to be able to to a "catch" which is letting go of the bar and getting caught by the guy on the other trapeze. Of course you are safely hooked up and there is a big huge net under neath.
I, of course forgot my camera, which has been my M.O. lately, but luckily Doug remembered his so these are courtesy of Doug.
This picture above is the pose you would have just before the "catch". Tucker was able to qualify on his third try and did an awesome "catch". Cooper, sadly had a little trouble with the arching your back part and the back flip dismount. He kept flipping forward. I will put a link to the videos that Doug took at the end in case anyone wants to check Tucker and Cooper out in action. Cooper's is pretty funny. I guess Tucker's is too, because it was his first or second try and he was having trouble following directions--which was the most important thing to do.
These two kind of give you a little idea of how high up they were. That is why Spencer opted not to participate. He took one look at the ladder you had to climb up to the very high platform and said no thank you.
It was a pretty fun evening. Even Dennis' brother David qualified to do the "catch" although the catcher guy might have wished he hadn't. David got of sync and the guy was trying not to catch him but David launched himself into the air and nearly pulled the poor guy's arms out of their sockets when he grabbed the guy's hands in the wrong place and stopped the momentum of the swing. (Oh and Dennis & I didn't try it because--well basically we are wimps and didn't want to hurt our backs!)
Hope this one works if you want to click on it to see Cooper & Tucker in action:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110035507136900895846/albums/5729653187432714257?authkey=CP7p8IXNsqPGcQ#photos/110035507136900895846/albums/5729653187432714257

5 comments:

Lost Woman said...

Hey, I totally want to see the video, but the link takes me to your Seattle EDU login which requires a user name and password. ):

I'm with Spencer... too high for me, but I think it is great others tried. Very cool!

crazy lady said...

That makes my arms hurt just looking at it. But I bet it was exciting to do!
Good for them for giving it a go. Good for you for thinking of you back :0)
A memorable experience all around.
Thanks for sharing.
(I got the edu link as well.)

Allison Petersen said...

That looks like a hoot!! That being said, pretty sure I would have only been an observer as well!

Lost Woman said...

Thanks for fixing the link!

wow... I'd say everyone who did that was super brave!
It looks to me as if both Tucker and Cooper did great.

Cool you got to watch from above.

The Desiree said...

That is super cool. I think I am with Spencer, I don't know if I could have done it. It is a really great experience for them though. I love it.