Friday, November 2, 2007

Captain Jack and a Play on Words

As requested Aunt C, here are the pictures from Halloween. As you can see, Cooper took on a little Jack Sparrow persona. Getting him to agree to the "eye liner" (washable Crayola marker) was quite a task but I think it really completes the outfit. The fencing sword was some promotional thing that Dennis got from work. (How it goes with AAA is a mystery at this point) The shirt is one of Dennis' and the jacket is one of mine with 3/4 length sleeves. The hat with attached hair is of course what makes the whole ensemble work. I suppose he could be Captain Hook (if we had a hook) but that's a different generation and I don't recall that he wore eyeliner, but I could be mistaken there. (I may not have been paying close attention to a detail like that as a kid.) He and I were the only ones to go trick-or-treating together as both Tucker and Spencer wanted to go with friends. I guess that is what happens when you start getting teens & pre-teens. We only went down the street two blocks on both sides and up one block past the house. That is as much as he wanted to do. Which is certainly fine by me as it was plenty of candy. But had I lived in a neighborhood this size I would have been out till that pillow case was full! (Pillowcases being the preferred trick-or-treat bag of children all ages). We did take a little neighbor boy with us who had a skeleton costume with a rubber skeleton head. He was quite comical as he went up and down the steps to the houses. I am not quite sure he could see all that well. After a while I had to carry his bag. (He had been out before we started so his was half full when we began). I was sure he was going to take a tumble down one of the longer sets of stairs, skewer himself on the fencing sword and well...But, luckily we got him home in one piece with his bag full (not a pillowcase--he's not yet wise in the ways of maximizing candy capacity). I will let you figure out the costumes of the other two boys for yourselves. Both boys came up with the ideas themselves--although Spencer may have gotten the suggestion from a girl at school. Spencer went trick-or-treating with three girls from his school. His only complaint was his mask got sweaty. I'm not exactly sure how full his pillowcase was when he got home because he squirreled it away into his room immediately. He is very protective of his candy hoard. He did not wear his costume to school (no masks allowed) but he did have fun wearing it out in the neighborhood. Although the net result of the plastic mask for this pubescent boy (not pre-pubesecent because his puberty is in full swing) was a serious rash around the nose. His skin is SO sensitive. Tucker's costume inspiration came while he and I were at JoAnn Fabrics looking for foam for a shark head (ala SNLs land shark) he was imagining he could construct. Since the foam was a bit spendy and I wasn't exactly sure on how he was planning to construct the shark head, he came up with this idea. I think it speaks for itself. The ego of a teenaged boy (at least mine) knows no bounds. He did say it garnered extra candy when it was explained, but I think that was probably only when the person handing out the candy was a guy. He came home sans candy because he gave it all to one of his friends he was out with. I guess he figured he could mooch off his brothers or eat the mounds of candy that I purchased forgetting that we never really get that many trick-or-treaters. That would be 4 according to Dennis who was manning the door while Cooper and I were out. He could have given each kid a full bag of bite-sized candy and still had one left over. As it is the giant tupperware bowl is still half-full of candy. Ah don't you just love Halloween!

6 comments:

crazy lady said...

Ok, I had to go zoom in on those pics because at first glance Tucker looked like Joe Cool with some out of control sheep suspenders. And I was NOT getting it (stupid ole lady eyes) I was gratified to see that rather than a man in love with sheep he is a babe magnet - as we all knew even without the costume. Is that a bit of metal I see in the corner of his right Lip? Costume, trick of the light?
And I assume Spencer is death by diet? Death to diets? Killer K? Looking at those eyes is just like looking into yours. Eerie! but lovely.
Cooper looks fantastic- even with crayola line. I'm going to pass that tip on to kids at school. Three posts in a week! you ARE on a roll!
Thanks!

michandler said...

"Cereal" Killer - I thought the Special "K" particularly appropriate (a K being a strike out or "kill" in baseball--more wordplay)
And a "Chick Magnet" - though I will grant that it is difficult to determine exactly what the big white thing is supposed to be. A "trick of light" on his face? No more like a big, old, pimple turned cold sore. He'll be thrilled you noticed!

oscar said...

I love all three costumes. They all did a great job. The chick magnet really made me laugh. Yes a teenage boy and his ego. Cooper's outfit is great. It looks like something you would buy in the store for the character. Nice work. I can imagine that mask would get sweaty for Spencer- what a bummer it bothered his skin. Your post made me laugh really hard about the skeleton kid being in danger of falling on the prop sword. That was funny. Glad you had such a great Halloween! Thanks for posting these pictures.

wallymom said...

Your boys all looked great. I knew exactly what Tucker's was as a boy in my ward did the same thing. I thought it was clever and if the shoe fits...... I loved Cooper's, I was a pirate this year also. Spencer looked scary as you said boys that age seem to want to. Connor keeps talking about staying home next year to scare the trick-or-treaters. Is that a word?

Lost Woman said...

What a great looking halloween bunch!
Coopers outfit does looke like the real deal. Now I'm worried about Spencer. Does he tend toward puns? (Please nip this in the bud ASAP if so. I am an unabashed pun despiser.)
Tuckers seemed to be more of a boast than a pun.
Did you dress up? If so where are the pictures there?
Thanks for sharing.

michandler said...

Okay I have to admit the the Captain Jack hat & hair came from the store. I wish I was that creative!? I did indeed dress up--at least for school. I was a black-eyed P. I blacked my eye (again with washable crayola) and wore giant letter P around my nect. Another play on words. Sad to say no pictures that I have but there might be one that some yearbook kids took. No worries about Spencer other than the pun part. If puns can be passed on genetically then I'm afriad the kids don't stand a chance. Dennis is an unabashed punmeister. He can whip them out on a nightly basis at the dinner table to the accompaniment of groans and moans all around.