Friday, February 8, 2008

The Fitting Take 2

When I got my new bras I was informed that it might take a little getting used to the additional coverage. After two days of feeling like my chest was in a vice grip and my skin was getting chafed, I had to buckle under and return my glorious purchase. When I came to Nordstroms with their swanky bag in tow, perky retail clerk number two was quick to offer that sometimes could take a few weeks to get used to. I kindly pointed out that difficulty breathing and red, irritated skin just was not worth it. After a small bit of back and forth banter I was persuaded to once again enter the back room to try a few more on. The fact that I had come to the mall sans proper boobage containment may have played into my willingness to venture into the dressing room once more. (I just couldn't bring myself to put on one of my old too small bras to go to the mall--I figured I could properly disguise my bralessness with my fleece coat.) After bringing me three very sad attempts to recoup their loss (I had already gotten my refund), she offered to bring in an expert who had been doing this for 10 or 12 years, "one of their best fitters". Meanwhile I put on one that seemed like it just might serve.
See, the ones I had returned had an underwire that I swear would be capable of holding the San Francisco bridge suspended, all on their own. I think they were the major contributing factor in the feeling not being able to breath that I had been experiencing. The prickly lace was the chafing factor. I was also convinced that 34 was the size I needed if I was suffering from severe blood loss and they needed to apply a tournequet around my rib cage to save my life. I did like the shape of the first set but that was about it and not enough of a plus to compensate for the lack of adequate air.
When the expert returned with perky number 2, she confirmed that yes indeed I was a 34. She adjusted the new bra I had on here and there, and declared it was a great fit. It DID feel better than the vice grip set. The underwire, still firm felt slightly less...restricting lets say. Before she departed though, she did offer again that it took some time to get used to the new fit but in the long run it would be better.
I informed P2 that I would take two. She was even kind enough to let me wear it out of the dressing room since I had come sans. The best news in it all was that the new set was cheaper than the first! What a deal.
I have worn them all week and am willing to give them time to break in. But I DO have to admit that I breathe a big sigh of relief each night as I release my boobs to drift southward again!

2 comments:

Lost Woman said...

Oh my GOSH!! I would likely have reverted to the old bra and sent the expensive new ones to goodwill.
I soooo could not do it again. (obviously since I wouldn't do it the first time!!)
Underwires SUCKKKKK..and just an FYI:in my VERY experienced world of bra shopping I am a firm believer in BALI brand bras, wire or no. That is pre and post advice.

You are gutsy!
I'll be looking to see if the adjustments take.

crazy lady said...

Wires? Scratchy constricting materials? Oh yeah, that sounds lovely. I "was" thinking about going in and trying a second time after your first glowing report of "uplifted" bliss. Now I'm content to don my decidely unflattering sports bra and continue on my merry, droopy way.
I hope the second time set works more comfortably than the first. Talk about torture! Sounds almost as bad as the infamous waterboarding that's in the news.