Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Two Halves Equal a Whole

Sure we are laughing in this photo. But we definitely weren't laughing at the end of the race or the next day! This is our good friend Peg with us just before the start of the Whidbey Island Half Marathon. It was a torturous 13.1 miles all of it uphill! Okay I'm exaggerating it was probably only 11 or 12 miles of it that were uphill! Alright again I exaggerate, but it was definitely over half. I was not prepared for that. Still I managed to finish the race only 15 minutes slower than the first one I did in November. Thanks I have to say in large part to my sometimes, Greenlake running partner Clover who is also the Principal at Cooper's school. She ran with me from about mile 3 to somewhere between mile 10 or 11. At mile 3 she said only 3 more Greenlakes. That's how we broke it up. Every three miles we would think that it was starting Greenlake again. It pretty much got me through. We both had to do a bit of walking. Finally we reached a point where I just couldn't run at the point she was ready and she went on ahead--with my blessing of course. She finished 3 minutes ahead of me. Our friends the Roche's also ran in the race and finished before us all. They were there to cheer Dennis on for the last lap around the stadium to the finish. It gave him the inspiration to really pore on the speed which caused the whole stadium to erupt into applause. (Somehow I must have registered Dennis incorrectly because the "official" results on the website show him coming in 4th place overall for walkers and 1st place for men walkers. He said if he had known he was registered as a walker he would have gone slower.) The three of them also cheered me on vigorously. I did muster up a bit more speed at the end but I was pretty much wiped out. I was instantly sore and it lasted into yesterday. Today I could finally walk down the front step without out feeling like I was going to weep from the pain or possibly topple, stiff-legged to the sidewalk below. Yes, stairs particularly down have been a source of intense pain. Monday and Tuesday getting out of my chair at work wasn't so pleasant either. Then again neither was walking. I was pretty much a wreck.
Do I feel the need to do it again?? Heck no!! Although I will be out there again tomorrow taking on Greenlake while Tucker is in seminary. (So that's a no, Neal and Steph there is just no way I will be doing the Seafair Half with you in June!! You two have fun with that!) I've done my two halves and in my book that equals a Marathon. The fact that they were 6 months apart is irrelevant. Which means I can cross that off "the list".

8 comments:

Lost Woman said...

Ok, I'm totally impressed that you made it through yet another 1/2 (making one whole). But even more impressed that you have the sense to know when to quit.
As you were describing your level of pain I just kept thinking why why? and please don't do it again.
Just like hearing Crazy suffer post "death hikes" (which did border on death) I wonder at those who return to relive the torture.

I'm pro exercise, anti extended pain, pro challenge, anti literal suffering.
Very cool you ran together and very wise "mistake" on Dennis' part to register as a walker. (:
Can you register in a "Saunter" category? That's the one I'd like.

Congrats!!! Way more exciting news than cutting my leg shaving!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Kelsey said...

Ok, I have a feeling Mr. monitor lcd is some sort of spammer, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, nice work with the half marathons! You say you'll never do it again, but you could be surprised how the urge sneaks up on you. My dad says the same thing after every marathon he does, yet he's always back the next year. Then again, I don't know that my dad really has anything better to do.

wallymom said...

All I can say is WOW. I was with Celiac as I read about your pain just thinking "why??" But there is definatley something exciting about challenging your body and actually making it. Good for you.

crazy lady said...

As I forced myself to do my morning run/stumble on the treadmill I had to keep repeating to myself "You'll feel SO much better when you're done..." And, eventually I do. there is something about completing a goal. But, I REALLY have to get to the point where I don't dread going to bed at night because I know when I wake up it will be time to exercise. I think if I were to get a few more hours of sleep and catch up on a few other things that might help a bit too.
Anyway...CONGRATS on completing your goal. That is VERRYYY impressive! Good for you. I wondered how it had turned out. Glad you survived and did so well. The horrid pain and stiffness afterwards sound, well, terrible. Glad to hear you aren't one of those zany folks who decide to just keep on doing it. I KNEW you were smarter than that!

michandler said...

There are no worries that I want to do another despite requests from friends. And Kelsey, I do have better things to do! I am feeling better today and managed to get around Greenlake (2.8 mi) without any trouble. (And yes, lcd must be a spammer)

Lost Woman said...

Kelsey totally made me laugh on this one!

Congrats on your first spammer. I haven't had one. Hope they don't start.

Glad to hear the stiffness is subsiding. How is Dennis holding up?

michandler said...

Dennis recouped much quicker than I did but isn't that always the way with men! Life is so unfair that way sometimes!