Monday, November 17, 2008

Love/Hate Relationship & Other Stuff

I hate this tree! I love this tree! This is big, beautiful, amazing tree is across the street from our house. It is difficult to really appreciate how big it is without seeing it in person--especially when the photo is not the greatest. I love it in the summer when it is in full bloom. It has about a billion, maybe even a trillion leaves on it it. I hate it in the fall when the billion or so leaves begin to fall. If we are lucky, the prevailing winds are blowing in a northerly direction and the leaves mainly end up in the park behind the tree. If we are unlucky, the prevailing winds are blowing in a southerly direction and they end up in our yard, against our house, all over the street. Even if we are lucky there are still a few thousand or so leaves from this tree that end up in our yard. I have already filled up our gigantic yard waste container twice with leaves from this tree and the much smaller tree that is in front of our house. (I love our tree in the spring when it is full of plum blossoms).
Now Cooper, he loves the tree across the street! (As you can see in the following pictures.) He went over Sunday afternoon and took over this pile of leaves that some other kids had left. As you can see, there are plenty of leaves to make and remake again and again, one heaping, mound of leaves that any boy would love. Cooper had a heyday.
What's not to love about a big pile of leaves? At least when you are not in charge of raking them up. Fun times!

Groucho & Cowboy Dennis (the other stuff)
I guess Sunday was a banner day (or at least a day worthy of blogging about). Oma & Opa came over for Sunday dinner. After dinner we generally end up sitting around the dining room table chatting about this and that. This Sunday somehow the topic of discussion got on to facial hair or the lack of it. Spencer who is the throes of puberty insisted that he did not have any facial hair. I guess if it is blonde, and a little hard to see that means it's not there. Next thing you know, Oma has my mascara in hand and is "highlighting" Spencer's facial hair. I don't know whether to comment on his Italian heritage showing through or his resemblance to Groucho Marx. Needless to say there was alot of laughter that went on, but it did illustrate how much facial hair he actually has. It did make him look quite a bit older too. And yes, as you can see in the picture without Dennis, Oma colored in his eyebrows too. She did better with the eyebrows than the moustache because I suggested that perhaps she should brush against the grain of the hair rather than with it. You never know what hilarity while happen when Oma & Opa come for dinner! (And no, Dennis is not sleepy or high in this picture--just caught him between expressions I guess)
This last picture is for Ann. Don't know whether she ever looks at the blogs, but this one is for her. She had a hat much like this the last time Dennis saw her in the summer. He commented about how cool he thought it was and she offered to get him one. When the boys and I were down for a visit this summer, she gave me this hat for him. I promised that I would e-mail her a picture of him in it. I never got around to it and was reminded when we saw her at grandma's 100th that I needed to do that. So, since I was in a picture taking kind of mood this weekend, here's the picture for Ann. Ride em, cowboy Dennis!! (I think the hat loses a little authenticity when paired with the sweatshirt, but what can you expect for a city slicker!)











5 comments:

crazy lady said...

Ahh the leaves the leaves. Nice to be in cooper's stage where it's all about falling into them, not raking them.
Spencer does look much older and oh so dreamy eyed with the dark eyebrows and moostashio! I bet that was a fun Sunday.
I saw the hat before Ann bequeathed it. I'm SO impressed that it fits with the Chandler cranium thing. I think he looks smashing - sweatshirt or no.

michandler said...

Beleive it or not, the hat is too big for Dennis. If you look at the photo you can see there is space on the side. It would fit David's cranium and his is HUGE! Perhaps we will have more hilarity at Thanksgiving by having David try on the hat!

Lost Woman said...

That sounds like such a fun Sunday! You could have counted me in on the makeup end. Spencer is transformed... but I'm not sure whether it is providing maturity or slightly creepy?

Hang on to the Love part of those trees. I miss regular trees sooo much down here.

I too, knew about the hat from Ann. (and am intensely jealous!) That is such a huge brim... I want it!! With a hole cut out of the top of course.

As for quirks Miste... I'm just lucky I got mine in under the wire. I'm sure you will find some... ask the kids. Maybe something with scrabble?
It is really cool to see how many oddities we seem to share. I didn't know your ears itched too. Stick with Q tip.

jo said...

I have tree and hat envy!!! The trees in our neighborhood aren't big yet, and so we don't have any leaves to play in :( I had to take my kids to a park to experience that one. Love the pictures of Cooper....how fun!!! As for the hat, I saw Ann's hat this summer and noticed how much coverage she was getting with that brim!!! That hat is awesome...LUCKY DENNIS!

The Liddle-Roches said...

We can't help but notice the sky behind the loved-hated tree...makes us long for Seattle. But this makes us miss Oma and Opa even more than Seattle...love those two! Nice to see things are status quo at the Chandler home. Miss you all!

S

p.s., If someone ever does Marx Brothers-type mafia movie, Spencer would get the lead for sure...Francis Ford Coppola, are you taking notes?