Saturday, November 22, 2008

Quirkiness Runs Amok

I have been "tagged" by my sister in the great quirks confessional. Unfortunately for me, many of the best family quirks have already been spoken for.
I too have itchy ears. I buy my q-tips in double packs. They are not only handy for taking care of that inner ear itch they are great for getting mascara out from under you eyes.
I also must confess to being an obessional readder. I too have been known to stay up until all hours of the night trying to finish a book or get to a "good" stopping place. I don't do it as much as I did when I was younger because Dennis makes me turn off the light. Not sure why, since he is such a sound sleeper.
So when I to think of some original quirks I must confess that I kind of drew a blank at first. I had to think about it a bit. I didn't want to ask any of the boys for fear of what I might find out. I did finally come up with one or two. Maybe lame, but my quirks nevertheless. Here they are:
I hate to call people on the phone. I think I may have gotten this from dad. I never liked it as a kid and I still have qualms about it as an adult. Even if I know that someone is expecting my call I still really have to think about it. I got better about it when I became a receptionist. Answering the phone is not the problem because people are calling me. It's when I have to call other people that I get all nervous. I have to think long and hard about what I am going to say. I especially hate it when I have to call someone to ask for a favor or question. Sometimes when I hang up I go over the whole conversation thinking about what I might have said badly or might be misconstrued. Call me an insecure caller.
I hate waiting at stop lights. I like to take backroads with no stoplights everywhere I go. I have all these routes to most visited places that are unusual just to avoid stoplights. When i ride places with Dennis I have to grit my teeth because he is just to opposite. He goes on major roads with all the stop lights. Drives me crazy.
I hate chipped fingernails. They totally drive me crazy. When I was younger I was a nail biter (a nasty habit to break). I think I developed this habit largely from my dislike of snaggy nails. I would do anything to make the nail smoother, including biting it down to the quick. Of course I outgrew that habit, but I still can't stand nails that catch on things. I now keep my nails cut short purposely so they are less prone to breaking.
That's the best I could come up with. I am sure that I could come up with some other things (especially if I asked the boys). They are kind of lame, but I have alot of the family quirks besides the two I mentioned. Very funny how things run in a family!
I choose not to tag anyone because I think everyone has beend tagged. It is fun to think about quirks in a family though. Genetics or environment? Who knows!

5 comments:

Lost Woman said...

Oh I love love the stop lights! I will go down the most empty back alley to avoid the main streets!! I don't think I hate lights so much as I prefer to feel that I'm driving alone.. not other cars. Not sure really what it is about, but I have convinced myself that my strange little routes are faster. At the very least I find them more enjoyable. I'm just not into strip malls and Mcdonalds at every turn of the head.

No specific phone phobia, just a procrastinator here. I find that one a surprise really. You always appear so confident.

I think it is kind of amazing all the little things so many of us seem to share. Thanks for telling!

crazy lady said...

I don't really have a phone phobia. chuck would claim the exact opposite.
I am SO into finding the shortest, fastest route from one place to another and plan ahead so I don't backtrack. Chuck is like Dennis and takes the main route even when it is much longer. It's not about waiting at lights for me - it's the idea of efficiency and saving time, I think?
I too,can't stand the snaggy nail thing, and still have been known to bit an offending nail if I can't get to a clipper fast enough. I have clippers on every set of keys in the house and laying around in other strategic places...
We ARE related!!! I DID ask my kids and I guess they are old enough to not want to offend me because they didn't give me any. I was expecting at least the obvious "You put things in "special" places never to be seen again... Thanks for sharing. That was fun.

Kelsey said...

My new outlet is my facebook account.

The Liddle-Roches said...

We love your quirky-ness...whatever forms it may take. In fact, this little post has proved very enlightening...it may explain why, for example, in recent years, the boys have called to invite us over for dinner. We thought it was b/c they couldn't get enough of us, but it's probably more likely that they were cajoled into it by mom. But hey, why have kids if you can't make them do some of the more pesky tasks of life, right? Looking forward to getting more such calls in the future...

S&N

wallymom said...

Thanks for sharing. I have loved reading people's quirks because it's more personal. I also have been surprised and interested in how they seem to run in the family. Crazy. Mike also hates stop lights. I sometimes plan phone conversations in my head first too.