Sunday, March 11, 2012

Major Life Change Week 1

Before I get to the life change bit I thought I should acknowledge that Tucker turned 20 last month!! I guess that does sort of qualify as a major life change. Hard to believe my little, bitty first born is so grown up now! He is a hard worker (puts in 30 hours a week at Dunn Lumber and is taking 10 credits at the community college--one math and one chemistry class). He reads graphic novels but listens to somewhat sappy music at times. He still has a nice twinkle in his eye and an infectious grin and a fulltime girlfriend (sigh). He asked for two pies for his birthday instead of cake. He wanted a butterscotch pie that he could eat all by himself and not share with anyone and a peanut butter pie that everyone else would eat. In the end he did share just a little bit if the butterscotch--but not much.

The other night Spencer asked Tucker to help him with his Spanish homework. They looked so sweet together I had to take a picture. They do manage to have a little more fun together now that they are older than they did when they were younger!

So to my life change. Last Monday I started on the Abascal Diet (though I do not call it a diet myself cuz that is not why I am doing it). It is an anti-inflammitory diet designed to help stop inflammation in your system. The first three weeks you cut out all dairy, wheat corn products & sweeteners (though you can eat corn). The other part is that whatever meals or snacks you consume should always be 1/3 meat/protien and 2/3 fruits and veggies (though breakfast can be 1/2 & 1/2) I had been sort of doing the 1/3-2/3 bit for a few weeks before this, but I had not fully cut out all the other stuff. So Monday I dove into it for real.

This is a meal I made for myself last week. I had made some mashed potatoes earlier in the week that were 1/2 potato and 1/2 cauliflower (which they say taste just like regular mashed potatoes and it is actually true). I took the leftover mashed potatoes stirred in an egg and heated it up in the fry pan with a little olive oil. Then I topped the whole thing with avocados (which you can eat freely). I probably looks pretty disgusting, but it was actually quite delicious.

I also made these muffins which I eat for breakfast every morning. They are made with almond flour, eggs, squash, banana, baking soda & olive oil with blueberries thrown in. I heat them up a little in the microwave and mash them up with a little applesauce. It is amazingly delicious.
I made myself a salad pretty much every day with this yummy balsamic vinigerette dressing that I made from scratch. One of my favorite things to do is bake up a bunch of veggies in tinfoil in the oven (like I made when we were in McCall this summer). I use the leftovers in an omelette the next day for breakfast. It's been kind of fun and I have been eating food I have never eaten before--like quinoa.

I definitely have not been hungry or felt deprived. You can eat as much as you want of things as long as you keep the ratio at 1/3 to 2/3. After the first three weeks you reintroduce the stuff you cut out one thing at a time and note your reactions. I learned about this from my co-worker Dana, who went on it because of her arthritis, she determined she had reactions to wheat products and coincidentally also lost 38 pounds. Another co-worker tried it and determined she had recations to dairy products and certain oils in processed food. I decided to do it to see if I could find any foods I might have reactions to in the hopes of maybe clearing of my esophogus problems.

This is just week 1 and it has been pretty easy. The only thing not on the list this week I might have eaten was some frozen yogurt sorbet with Spencer the other night. It said it was dairy and fat free, but it did not say sugar free. Otherwise I have been pretty true. I figure I can make it the next two weeks pretty easily and then we'll see what happens then. Will post again at the end of next week.

4 comments:

Lost Woman said...

Tucker is 20? OY!
Happy Day to him. It must be nice seeing your boys getting along now and again.

I've been wondering how the new eating regime was going. (I like the term regime rather than "diet" since everyone assumes diet just means weight loss goals) I was just thinking of writing you about it yesterday!

Where are you getting your almond flour? Other than potatoes and corn, and quinoa (which I can't have on SCD) and the whole ratio thing, this sounds an awful lot like my SCD regime. I hope you find out something from it all. At the very least you will have added lots of fun delicious new foods to your arsenal.

Love to hear any updates. The muffins sound a bit like ones I've made, but I'd like the recipe.

I've got a good pancake with hazelnut and almond flour I could trade you.

The Desiree said...

Oh I can't believe he is 20 either. I am starting to feel old.

I am glad to hear that the boys get along, it give me hope. My boys fight like crazy.

That "life change" doesn't sound too bad. I have a rough time doing anything that is not super easy. Doing the fresh thing is so much easier in the summer than winter.

robin marie said...

chandlers!

happy birthday tucker - i just had to say that one youth activity a few years ago scott neuner and i were talking with tucker as we weeded the front of the church. we traded favorite bands and songs and i'm afraid the majority were probably categorized as sappy!

Amy Wallace said...

20! I'm struggling with 16. Holy cow. Good for you and the diet. I hope it helps.