Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Spencer Turns 12!

I don't know what you would call these. Blackmail? Payback?? Today is an auspicious day. Yes, we all know what it means nationally, but more importantly to us, it is Spencer's birthday. These pictures are evidence of what he did this summer when I was at work. My camera was just lying there (in it's case) begging some young, pre-teen to take self-portraits. I guess things get a little dull when mom is not around. There were actually about 6-8 pictures--even after I told him to stop taking pictures of himself. What did Spencer want for his birthday?? He has spent many hours contemplating this very issue, crafting and re-crafting birthday lists which he places on the refrigerator for all to see. He has been dying to have a cell phone. For what reason we are not clear. Chances of that happening are...well, use whatever trite saying that comes to mind about never. (Hence the re-crafting.) He loves movies so there is always a variety of those on his list as well as gift cards. Top of the list though (with cell phone out) was a digital camera which is what we got him. Future as a photographer? As long as he leaves these pictures out of any portfolio maybe he has a future. Some amazing things about him in recent months:

  • His voice sounds like he is getting a cold--no confusing him with me on the phone any more
  • His feet are nearly as big as his dad's (he's wearing Tucker's soccer shoes from this past spring)
  • He is growing what Cooper likes to call "armpit beards"
  • He is within about an inch of being taller than me
  • He is the tallest boy on his soccer team

In other words he's growing up!

2 comments:

crazy lady said...

What is it with kids now? I swear every single kid I have in computer art takes a million pics of themselves and their friends. I guess it's the whole digital thing. We banned cell phones in class this year (finally!) and life is much nicer. Though I still catch kids trying to text with their phones and I have to confiscate them and send em over to the office where their parents have to pick them up.
Anyway, armpit beards eh? Very descriptive and apt. He IS growing up all right. His face has elongated and it will be interesting to see if he gets taller than Tucker.
Nice post.

Lost Woman said...

Funny pics...strange time. I think the transition from innocent kid to smart --- teen is an astounding metamorphosis. Painful to go through entertaining at times to watch. I always miss those sweet little kids they were though.
Glad you are nixing the cell phone. They are the bane of my teaching existence!