Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Confessions of an All Night Reader

Okay, I admit it, I am a compulsive reader. I have been known to stay up until 1, 2 or even 3 a.m. just to finish a good book. As a teenager, I can remember huddling under a big pile of blankets in my extremely cold basement room trying to finish the Sword of Shanara by Terry Brookes. I enjoy many, many genres from fantasy, sci fi, to detective, murder mysteries to historical romance and plain historical fiction (the non-romantic kind). I love to read. I get restless when I don't have something good to read. I have been known find an author that I enjoy and tear through everything he/she has written only to pine away waiting for something new from them. (George RR Martin you break my heart waiting for the next installment of the Fire and Ice series and your last book was just not a tasty enough morsel!) Why must it take soooo long for a new book to come out! I will admit to staying up until 2 a.m. at Karen's one summer to finish Harry Potter #6 shortly after it was released only to realize that I would now have to wait at least two years for another! (Actually had to wait 6 years for the untasty morsel from George RR Martin--and am still waiting for closure!)

I think the one genre that I enjoy the most is historical fiction, particularly medieval fiction and here are two of my favorites. Now I know that Oprah recently chose Pillars of the Earth as one of "her" books but I am so way ahead of her! (And let's not even go into Oprah and "her" things! I could rant for hours!) I read Pillars of the Earth when it first came out in 1989! I loved it then and have since read it at least two other times that I can think of, maybe even a 3rd. Imagine how pleased I was to hear that after 18 years Ken Follett had written a "sequel" (sort of, you could read them in any order) World Without End. I put it on "hold" at the library so that as soon as a copy came available I could read it, but when you are about 251 of 432 people, you know it is going to take a long time to get the book. Dennis was way ahead of the game in reserving it and actually got a copy just before Christmas. Unfortunately it is a very long book (over 1000 pages so no quick read here--even if you do stay up late) and Dennis couldn't finish before it was due back and no renewal since there were so many people waiting to read it. So, I purchased a copy and gave it to "us" for Christmas. I just finished it last night (only stayed up until 10:30--however I had stayed up until almost midnight one night just to get to a "good stopping point"). It was not as good as Pillars of the Earth but it was enjoyable. Not as much history as in the first one but stuff I was familiar with--the plague, the Battle of Crecy, Edward III and the mystery of his father's death. All things I had previously read about in other books. Pillars of the Earth covers Thomas Beckett, Henry I and Henry II, cathedral building, monastery life. They are a well-written peek into medieval life.
If you are a fan of medieval fiction, Sharon Kay Penman is definitely worth getting into. Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross is also a fascinating read. I actually keep a list of authors in my palm pilot because I can't ever seem to remember who wrote things I have read. Periodically I check the library to see if any of them have any new books out because naturally I have read everything old they have written. Others I recommend are Laura Joh Rowland (great series about a Samarai "detective" in 12th century Japan; Parnell Hall (the puzzle lady series) and Owen Parry (Civil War Welsh detective). There's tons of others but of course I can't remember the authors. Always on the hunt for great books to read (just started plowing through Jodi Picoult upon Karen's recommendation--loved My Sister's Keeper) so if you have some recommendations I would love to hear them--particularly of the historical fiction kind.



5 comments:

crazy lady said...

Sounds like some good books there. I'm afraid that I won't be able to start reading again until summer. I don't have your self control. I will stay up ALL night if it's a book I love. and that doesn't work out so well when I try to go to work afterwards.
Glad you liked Jodi Picoult. I have read 3 of hers now and had to restrain myself from getting another one until the end of the year (or at least spring break).
Thanks for the suggestions.

Lost Woman said...

Well, it is officially a family disease. Hi my name is ______ and I'm a biblioholic. I am like Crazy Lady and will stay up all night (regardless of the morning plans) I never allowed myself to read recreation stuff in grad school as I knew it would only lead to trouble. The same kind of trouble you get with a bag of potato chips or a box o great candy. Why stop??? That's the problem.
Thanks for the suggestions I will keep them in mind. I have read many of them... but lots I have not.
Some of my favorite reads don't exactly fit into your interest but here goes.
"Aristocrats" the true story of the Lennox sisters in the late 17th century. Worth reading solely on the fact that one sister gives birth to 22 children!
"Divorced, Beheaded, Survived, a feminist re-inerpretation of the wives of Henry the 8th" Even mom loved this one so don't let the title fool you.
"Orchid Thief" Just weird enough with enough random trivia for me to love. (Desiree hated it)
"She's Come Undone" a quirky strange fiction that I think is brilliant. I think Crazy liked it, and lots of my art friend.
"Letters from a Woman Homesteader" Crazy gave me this one and I really liked it. The real letters of a Wyoming woman homesteader late 19th century.
Hmm. It's late and I can't think of more right now.
Thanks for sharing yours!!

michandler said...

I never allowed myself to read for pleasure while I was going to night school either. It was just too tempting to avoid reading the textbook material in order to finish the "good" book. I think it is just that whole obsessive/compulsive gene we all must have.
Thanks for the suggestions Celiac. I actually read the Orchid Theif myself recently because I read in the paper that there were plans to make a movie about it.
I will add the others to my library list. Right now I have about 8 books on hold and I fear they are all going to come to me at the same time!!

wallymom said...

I'll have to try some of your suggestions. I love books about people. Here's an interesting one I just read: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Set in China in
1800s. If you want something with a very interesting twist try Double Bind.

oscar said...

Yahoo thanks for all the book suggestions. My list of books to read is growing but that is great. Keeps me busy. I don't have that problem and reading all night. I am a serious sleeper. If I don't get my 8 hours look out! Thanks for posting all of these!