Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Winter Musings

Yes, we do get snow in Seattle. We woke up Monday morning to a light covering of snow. (Lurking underneath for awhile was some sneaky, treacherous ice.) It was quite beautiful. Very fluffy. I wanted to capture how it covered the tree out front but I am not quite the photographer that Celiac C and Gorden are. Although I think the close-up I did is rather cool. What is particularly cool is that you can see the buds coming out under the snow. I didn't even realize the branches were budding until I downloaded the picture from my camera to the computer. It also shows how fluffy the snow was.
Luckily we already had a scheduled day off from school so we won't have to make this snow day up in June. The kids went out for a bit to enjoy it while it lasted. January has been cold though. Last week I don't think I ran once in the morning in anything higher than 30 degrees--which I know isn't cold by Idaho standards (or other chilly places) but is very cold for Seattle. Seems like we always get a bit of snow in January. My January 2007 picture folder also has pictures of the kids playing in snow. We just got the snow later this year. We've had so much that I-90 the main east/west freeway into Seattle was closed for the entire day today due to avalanche danger. Snow in Seattle is fleeting--here today and gone tomorrow.
Now this last picture I just think is kind of cool. It was very accidental. Not exactly sure how I got it to focus on the branches in the background rather than the ones close up. (You should be able to enlarge any one of them just by clicking on it).
What's the point of this post? Not really sure other than snow is cool, even when you only get it in small doses. Or maybe I should say especially when you get it in small doses. I'm just glad that every year we seem to get at least one day of snow to enjoy!

2 comments:

crazy lady said...

Those are nice pics. I have always loved the way snow higlights trees and branches. We haven't had a snow day in over 7 years in our district- and we have them built into the school schedule so unless we have a bunch of them we don't need to make them up. Do you detect a "hint" of bitterness there? You betta believe it! When there actually have been snow closure worthy days they have been on the weekends or holidays. We have been have cold, windy, blustery days for several weeks now - just nothing "quite" horrid enough to cancel school. Ahh well... wah wah. I guess I better go get to work.
Thanks for the nice pics though.

Lost Woman said...

That middle picture of the branches is nice.
Snow once or twice a year seems perfect. Just enough to remember how fun it can be without all the -20 stuff to go along.
Looks like fun!