Monday, September 15, 2008

Spencer is a Teenager!

Yes my tall, skinny redhead is now a teenager! Spencer turned 13 on September 11. We went out for pizza on his actual birthday but saved the majority of his party for Saturday when the Chandler clan could be there. He was very excited to get two things on his list (he always has one prepared for every gift-giving occasion). He got and i-Pod and a gift certificate for Hollister, which he is out spending with Tucker as I type.
I am always so amazed at how different all my boys are from the other, with their own unique personalities and likes and dislikes. Spencer is my little chef. He loves to make desserts. He is especially good at chocolate chip cookies. He is very good a reading and following recipes so he will always eat well. (Unlike Tucker who may be living off Top Ramen). He is very artistic and has a great eye for color, details, shapes, sizes, etc. He is funny, a good student and has a great ear for music. Lest he seems to be nearing perfection, he also has a temper which has a very short fuse. When he gets in a snit, he has been known to shut himself in his room for a couple hours. Moody doesn't do justice to his moods swings at times. He is now several inches taller than me and within an inch or so if being taller than Tucker. He is probably about 4-5 inches taller than Tucker was at age 13. Perhaps he got the tall Chandler gene. Time will tell. He is a super kid and we are blessed to have him in our family.

9 comments:

Lost Woman said...

Happy late birthday Spencer!!
Sounds like a fun day... but what is Hollister?
(obviously not a shopper myself)

I can vouch for his artistic/creative skill. He has talent!

michandler said...

Hollister is this trendy t-shirt shop at the mall. It has loud music, smells like a teenage boy with too much aftershave on and has poor lighting (it's dark). If you are over 40 you can only stand to be in the store for 15 minutes at the most!

Kelsey said...

I love your description of Hollister.

Sound like Spencer and I would get along pretty well. With the exception of the tall bit, we have a lot in common (including the short fuse). Happy birthday Spencer!

michandler said...

You know Kelsey I think you and Spencer WOULD get along famously!

jo said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPENCER! He does sound like a super kid! I'm lost on the whole Hollister thing, too, Celiac. I'm not very trendy...okay, not at all. Sounds like one of those stores I hope my children don't pay much attention to as we walk by it at the mall...LOUD and DARK :) I'll have to pay more attention to the names as we walk by the next time we're there.

crazy lady said...

I am asqauinted with Hollister, but then I deal with loud, smelly, teenagers every day so... Not that Sppencer is loud, or smelly, but apparently he has now entered the ranks of teens. I seem to remember another red head that had a bit of a short fuse back in the day :0)
It's wonderful to have someone who likes to cook! I'm in favor of helping to deal with the results of said cooking.
I'm betting he will end up with the taller Chandler gene as well.
anyway, give him a hug and squeeze from his old auntie Karen cause if I were there I'd give it to him whether he liked it on not, teen or not.

wallymom said...

Happy birthday Spencer. Sounds like he is a regular teenage boy. Whats with boy smell anyway? It's always there, no matter how clean there room is. We don't have a Hollister here in Rural Utah. The rage is Aeropostale, which is probably behind the times up there.

michandler said...

Actually he got a gift certificate toe Aeropostale from the neighbor girl who is one of his best freinds. So no Amy you are not behind the times in rural Utah.

My Angels said...

Happy birthday Spencer!! I can't believe how time flies. It doesn't seem that long ago I spent the summer with you and he was just a pup. Makes me feel old!! I am glad to hear that girls..Des and I, are not the only "moody teenagers" ;)