Friday, September 26, 2008

Spiders

When Cooper and I left for school this morning we noticed that it was a bit of a foggy day. In Seattle that means a pretty heavy dew. Because of the beads of dew, you could see all the spider webs. There were probably 10 or more of them in the evergreen bushes in front of our house, which you can kind of see here. They were so cool I had to go back in the house and get the camera to take pictures. Now we are NOT ones to get scared of spiders so naturally we were quite fascinated with all the webs and their shapes and intricacies. I find it interesting to observe the interesting shapes and patterns. They are just amazing. The weather was perfect for viewing them. We walked a few blocks farther and saw tons of webs all over the bushes everywhere. Then we saw a great big one, with a huge spider on it that I just had to get a picture of him. He was HUGE! But he was also beautiful, just sitting there waiting for something edible to come along. SO I had to snap a picture of him too. (Click on both of them to enlarge them to really appreciate how many webs there were on the shrubs and how big the Big Daddy was!)
It was such a cool morning to be out and about and it really made me think about how beautiful the earth is that God made for us. I was thankful for Cooper's excitement, enthusiasm and exuberance about the whole thing. There are so many beautiful things that we pass by every day without even considering. It also reminded me what I love about living in Seattle. Yes, it rains a fair amount here, and when it is not raining it is often gray. But...it is vibrantly green much of the year, the climate is generally mild (not too hot, not too cold). Tall mountains to remind me of Idaho but lots of water everywhere. Yes, there are spiders but there aren't any snakes and flies are almost non-existent. So today I am grateful for spiders and all the amazing things that are on this beautiful earth!

5 comments:

Lost Woman said...

Those are some cooooool pictures. They seem fake actually, especially the top one.
I think that bottom one is a cat faced spider, but don't quote me.
Isn't it amazing how diverse the earth is.
As I look at your spider pictures from Seattle I'm thinking of the strange albino geckos that come out at night here.
I'm jealous of all your green, but I suppose in winter you could be jealous of all my sunshine.
(:

Kelsey said...

And I'm thinking about all the roaches that come out at night here. Geez, I really need to get my rear end up to Seattle. I'm filling out job applications today!

And those spider webs are pretty awesome. They look like some sort of halloween decoration, because they're just so over the top.

crazy lady said...

When I first glanced at that top pic I thought it was some kind of cactus because of the webs. I've always loved spiderwebs. And really most spiders are beautiful in their own creepy, crazy pinched body, long legged, weir proportioned way. I actually loved living in the Seattle area for the very reasons you just mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised to find that many of my children end up in that vicinity (if they can find jobs there). So who knows??? Maybe someday we'll end up someplace closer too?
Very nice pics by the by.

jo said...

What great pictures and a morning to remember! Spider web's are facinating...how delicate and perfect they are...it does make one reflect on the creation of the earth and how it all works together so nicely. Thanks for sharing!

My Angels said...

The pictures are really Cool, but I HAAATE SPIDERS!! Since living in Pocatello with Hobos, they make my skin crawl and give me the ebe-jebees.