Sunday, December 6, 2009

In Search of the Tree

Every year since Tucker was a baby we used to go down to Centralia and cut down a tree with Oma & Opa. This continued even after they moved up here to Seattle--until last year. Last year we got a tree from the lot where Tucker was working because we got it for free and we just couldn't find a good time to travel all the way to Centralia to get a tree.
This year Oma decided she had had enough of fresh trees and bought an artificial one. They boys are still trying to get over the shock of it.
We decided we wanted to cut one down again. Instead of heading south for Centralia we went north to Stanwood where Douglas and his family live. Dennis researched tree farms online and we selected the first one on the list. It just happened to be right off the exit to Doug's house. In fact it was probably less than a mile away from his house.
It was fun to tromp through the fields and search for the perfect tree. We finally agreed on one that was a little shorter than usual and a little more full on the bottom, but perfect for hanging the tons of ornaments we seem to have collected over the years.
I didn't realize how the star was really making the top lean until I took the picture. Oh well. I do love the smell of the pine of the fresh tree. We also go some cinnamon scented pine cones so the house smells really nice.
I threw in the cross-stitch stockings for Des. When I was around the same age, I was really into cross-stitching and it lasted for years & years. I made stockings for each of the boys--even though they have really cute ones that Oma made for them--and also made the ones here for Oma, Opa & Dennis. I also have a cute little doorknob hanger on black fabric that is really cute. I don't cross stitch at all anymore, but it is nice to have these little keepsakes.
I think I might be getting more in the Christmas spirit. Still haven't done any shopping to speak of. Although I did manage to get an invite out for Cooper's birthday yesterday. And so it goes.

6 comments:

wallymom said...

I love your tree! I miss going out and cutting one down. I have great memories of that and so will your boys.

crazy lady said...

Cutting down your own tree is a great tradition and one that the boys will remember always.
The stockings are amazing and make my head and thumbs hurt just thinking about making them.
I have yet to drag out the Christmas boxes and have had a string of lights sitting by the front door since the day before Thanksgiving... It's not bah humbug - more like Arrghhh! where's the time?
I DO have some gifts started though. That should count for something right?!?

Lost Woman said...

That is a lovely looking tree. No Grinches could survive in that environment... cross stitched stockings,cinnamon smell, lovely tree... all deadly to a Grinch.


Luckily for the Grinch in me I'm far from any of those elements and can continue in denial down here in cactus land. (;

ps. Go Oma... I'm with her on the tree.

jo said...

OH, I LOVE REAL Christmas tress! The whole experience...cutting it down, dragging it home, the smell...OH, I love it! We always went into the Ashley National Forest growing up and got a tree....SO many great memories as a kid. Sadly, my children will not have any memories of getting a tree, dragging it home, and smelling it. We've always had an articial one BUT one of these years we will go hunt down a Christmas Tree... then my kids can say "Remember that one time...." Anyways...enjoy that tree :)

I'm also a cross stitcher! I haven't done it for years...hard to do with little kids around...those stockings look gorgeous and a lot of time put into them....those will be precious heirlooms, make sure they end up in the right hands!!!!

Millie said...

Love the blog Miste...we will stay in touch...Millie

Anonymous said...

Hi, I don't know if you know who I am, but I was part of GPS and raised two guide dogs with them. Sadly, I am not really involved with Guide Dogs for the Blind because I went off to college, but hopefully next year I will start puppy sitting again. Anyways, for the past 2 months I have been training with Team In Training to run the LA Marathon to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in honor of Ezra Sherman, who I was friends with through puppy club. I was wondering if you would be able to make a small donation, or maybe do a post to let other people know about it on your blog. my website for donations and my progress is http://pages.teamintraining.org/los/LA10/mgordonnn7. Thanks and I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season.