Saturday, July 21, 2012

When Families Gather I

Our Vaden family members recently gathered (okay it was the 4th of July and I am a little slow--but it's still July so that is recent).  We met up at Alturas Lake which nestled in the beautiful Sawtooth Mountain range in Idaho (about 50 miles east of Sun Valley.  We had reserved the Cabin Creek compound which consists of 7 smaller cabins around a larger lodge.  It was a perfect location. In my mind a perfect combination of Redfish Lake and Wildhorse Canyon where we have gathered as a family in the past.  Our family, the Chandlers got there on the evening of the 4th and stayed in the caretakers cabin with Roberta & Celiac.  The next day we moved into our won cabin (Nephi as I recall--yes, the compound is owned by the Mormon church so all the cabins have church related names) and proceeded to have a wonderful time.
We met new family members.  This is my brother-in-law Gordon Olson holding his latest grandbaby who's name just happens to be Vaden!  It is so awesome to be able to gather with family and reconnect.  Since we are up here and they are all (mostly) in Idaho we generally only get to see them about once a year.  So I in particular enjoy getting together.
 This is me proving I still have it at 50!
 Tucker loved all the little 2nd cousins.  He loves little kids anyway and the little relatives in particular.  He made a bond with little TJ when we went out waterskiing.
 Another "little relative" (not sure if they are 2nd cousins, 1st cousins once removed or what to my kids--they are great neices & nephews to me).  This is little Micah who loves being on the boat!
 This cutie-patootie Beckett who came to visit us last summer and loved me.  This summer not so much really.  Though he did have a particular fondness for Spencer!  (Who also loves the "little relatives")
 This proves that I really still do have it--even at 50!  Maybe not the best form, but what can you expect of a person who only waterskis about once a year (maybe)!
 It's not a fluke!
 Dennis still has it too!  So much so he has to prove it by being a ham (nothing unusual there)!
 Lots of games were played in the Lodge.  The favorite of the boys was Jenga and some alternative version they named Super Jenga.
 The last day we took a family photo.  This didn't turn out so bad (and believe me we are not generally a really photogenic crowd--for various reasons).  It's hard to get a good one.
I am truly greatful to my sister Roberta for taking this on and making it happen.  It's harder without mom there to bind us all together, but it so important for us to continue to make the effort.  It is what she would want.  I for one am totally looking forward to next year at the same venue with the same people I love!

1 comment:

Amy Wallace said...

Fabulous posts of a fabulous time. Now I don't have to do one. Thanks.